Water scarcity, changing regulations, and the need for stricter water quality limits pose challenges to industrial facilities
a profit strategy component & investment protector
Industrial Wastewater Treatment
Industrial wastewaters contain organic and inorganic matter in varying degrees of concentrations. The contaminates may include toxic and other harmful materials, that are non-biodegradable or that can inhibit many treatment processes. Successful treatment of industrial wastewater often requires deploying one or more treatment processes to correct physical, chemical or biological properties of the substrate.
Even within industries, treatment objectives and wastewater characteristics vary so greatly to prevent any “silver bullet” approach.
- Meat & Poultry
- Food & Confectionery
- Beverage, Brewery & Winery
- Pulp & Paper
- Oil & Gas
- Mining & mineral processing
To unlock value through resource recovery and/or reduce processing & disposal costs.
SEQUENCING BATCH REACTOR (SBR)
SBR advantages over conventional continuous flow activated sludge systems
- smaller footprint
- less Mechanical & Electrical equipment
- higher degree of operational flexibility with respect to effluent quality
- less filamentous bacteria
- better suppression of bulking sludge
- longer SRT results in high treatment level for N and P, better degradation of organic compounds
- great flexibility in load fluctuations
- lower CAPEX
- up to 20 % less energy consumption
- easier to upgrade
MEMBRANE BIOREACTOR (MBR)
MBR is the combination of conventional biological treatment (activated sludge) with membrane filtration to provide an advanced level of organic and suspended solids removal. The membranes replace the sedimentation basin, the restrictive factor for sludge concentration. MBR systems can process significantly higher sludge concentrations (10 to 20 g/l) and with lower reactor volumes compared to conventional systems.
Installation of an industrial wastewater treatment system is mostly a financial decision supported by long-term strategic planning considerations. MBR is a proven technology that can support the investment decision..
- Cost effective treatment of high strength wastewater
- Produces good quality discharge water that is suitable for reuse
- Small footprint with up to 80% space saving. The combination of very high rate biological treatment and ultrafiltration results in a compact plant when compared to conventional plant with a secondary clarifier
- Long SRT favours retention and development of special microorganisms with enhanced biodegradation of hardy biodegradable compounds while making make the system more robust to load variations and toxic shocks.
ADVANCED SOLIDS LIQUIDS SEPARATION
Aside from MF/UF filtration final polishing can involve RO Membranes removing TDS in order to meet desired final effluent water quality depending on the application whether it be used for potable use or safely returned to the environment.
Through our partners Selectra can offer high recovery, high pressure RO options which are more robust compared to traditional systems with respect to a wide range of organics and suspended solids for those challenging water separations.
SPECIALISED TREATMENT PROGRAMME
From time to time we embark on programmes dedicated to solving complex process water challenges.
Cyanides are fast-acting poisons that can be lethal, most of the inorganic salts have exposure limits of a few parts per million. Exposure can occur by absorption through the skin, by inhalation of dusts or gas, or by ingestion. Exposure to minor amounts of cyanide on the skin can result in dermatitis.
In manufacturing, cyanide is used to make pharmaceuticals, paper, textiles, and plastics. It is present in the chemicals used to develop photographs. Cyanide salts are used in metallurgy for electroplating, metal cleaning, and removing gold from its ore.
Cyanides must be destroyed or removed from wastewaters prior to discharge.